Mucormycosis is a very rare infection and it is also known as Black Fungus. It is caused by exposure to mucor which is commonly found in soil, plants, manure, and decaying fruits and vegetables. It affects the sinuses, the brain, and the lungs and can be life-threatening in diabetic or severely immunocompromised individuals.
Rajasthan and Telangana state already declared it an epidemic and are giving complete care on ‘Black fungus’ in Covid-19 patients.
The infection with this disease should be suspected when there is:
Sinusitis — nasal blockage or congestion, nasal discharge (blackish/bloody);
* Local pain on the cheekbone, one-sided facial pain, numbness or swelling;
* Blackish discoloration over the bridge of nose/palate;
* Loosening of teeth, jaw involvement;
* Blurred or double vision with pain;
* Thrombosis, necrosis, skin lesion;
* Chest pain, pleural effusion, worsening of respiratory symptoms.
Commonly treated with antifungals drugs and the treatment includes an infusion of normal saline (IV) before infusion of amphotericin B and antifungal therapy, for at least 4-6 weeks.
In India, Bharat Serums and Vaccine, Wockhardt, Abbott Healthcare, United Biotech and Cipla are among the manufacturers of this Drug.